Registration for the 2019-2020 HEDS Faculty/Staff Survey of Campus Climate for Sexual Violence will open in early fall.
HEDS Faculty/Staff Survey of Campus Climate for Sexual Violence
The HEDS Faculty/Staff Survey of Campus Climate for Sexual Violence asks faculty, staff, and administrators:
- About their perceptions of their campus’s climate and how their institution addresses and responds to instances of sexual violence
- Their understanding of their institution’s procedures for reporting incidents of sexual violence
- Whether they have talked to people at their institution who have experienced sexual violence
- If they have reported instances of sexual violence to the Title IX coordinator or other campus officials
- Whether or not they have experienced sexual violence during the course of their work on campus
This survey follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s definition of sexual violence as “sexual acts committed against someone without that person’s freely given consent.” Sexual violence includes:
- Completed or attempted forced penetration of a victim (whether alcohol/drug-facilitated or not)
- Completed or attempted forced acts in which a victim is made to penetrate a perpetrator or someone else (whether alcohol/drug-facilitated or not)
- Non-physically forced penetration which occurs after a person is pressured verbally or through intimidation or misuse of authority to consent or acquiesce
- Unwanted sexual contact
- Unwanted sexual experiences that do not include physical contact (including verbal sexual harassment)
Experiences commonly referred to as rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment are types of sexual violence.
The survey is designed to be administered to all faculty, staff, and administrators who spend a significant amount of time on campus, not people who work remotely. The survey usually takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and people’s responses are anonymous.
The questions in this survey parallel the questions in our student survey, the HEDS Sexual Assault Campus Climate Survey. Your campus can administer both surveys to gain a full picture of your campus climate and the extent to which perceptions of students, faculty, staff, and administrators align on key issues related to sexual violence.
You can administer the HEDS Faculty/Staff Survey of Campus Climate for Sexual Violence for any 3–6 week period between December 1, 2019, and April 30, 2020. Please register at least three weeks prior to the date on which you plan to begin administering the survey.
Given the sensitive nature of the data from this survey, we suggest that you work with your campus’s institutional review board (IRB) to review the process you will follow to ensure that all survey findings are treated appropriately and that the confidentiality of people who respond to the survey is protected. IRB approval will help to assure campus constituencies about the care with which your institution is treating the survey data and findings.
All participating institutions will receive:
- SPSS and Microsoft Excel files with your participants’ responses (responses removed or combined with others when needed to keep participants’ responses anonymous; open-ended text responses in a separate file). We will review open-ended text responses and remove individuals’ names if respondents identify people by name.
- Comparative report – compares results from your employees to those of employees from all other participating institutions on all survey questions as well as key indicators.
- Compilation of your participants’ responses to the open-ended questions.
Please note that if you have a small number of completed surveys and/or a small number of respondents who report that they have experienced sexual violence, it may impact the summary data we can provide you.
The base cost of the survey is $500 for institutions in HEDS and $1,900 for institutions not in HEDS. There are some custom options for additional fees.