We appreciate the many thoughtful suggestions we’ve received from our colleagues at HEDS institutions about resources we could develop to support their institutions in this challenging time. We thought it would be helpful to list these resources in a single location to make them easier to find. We list these resources below. We will update this page with new information and new resources when needed. If you have any ideas about other work we could do to help you or your institution, please contact Charlie Blaich and Kathy Wise.
HEDS Member Institutions’ COVID-19 Responses Spreadsheet
We wanted to create a single location where you could learn more about how other HEDS institutions are responding to COVID-19. To this end, we’ve created an editable spreadsheet for people from HEDS institutions to learn how other institutions in the consortium are responding to COVID-19 and post information about their own institution’s response. The spreadsheet includes tabs with the following information:
- Institution Instructional Plans – Institutions’ responses to how they are approaching face-to-face classes, study abroad, scheduled events, and canceling events.
- Technology – Institutions’ responses to technology concerns as they are moving to online instruction.
- Student Concerns – Institutions’ responses to students with no place to go if the campus closes, maintaining communication with students and parents, and requests for room and board refunds.
- Faculty and Staff Concerns – Institutions’ responses for faculty and staff working remotely, providing support services, and sick leave policies.
- Tips and Best Practices
- Links to Institution COVID-19 Webpages – A list of links to institutions’ public webpages focused on their COVID-19 responses.
- Links to Outside Resources – A list of resources focused on higher education’s response to COVID-19.
- Accreditation Resources from Listserv – Information from accreditation bodies about moving to online classes. Discussion originated on the HEDS Listserv on March 13.
- Switch to Pass/Fail – Information from institutions switching or changing their grading and pass/fail policies due to online instruction. Discussion originated on HEDS listserv on March 19.
- Deposit Deadline Changes – Information from institutions about if and how they are adjusting their deposit requirements.
- Summer and Fall Plans – Information from institutions about if and how they are changing: summer internships and off-campus programs; summer classes; summer programs on campus (e.g., sports camps, programs for high school students); fall study abroad; fall internships and off-campus programs; and/or fall classes.
The sheet now includes information from over 75 HEDS institutions. Our thanks to the many people at HEDS institutions who’ve taken the time to post and update details about how their institution is responding to COVID-19. You’ve helped to create a valuable resource for your colleagues across the consortium.
The spreadsheet is a live document that you may update if your information changes. This means that you should also check it periodically for the latest information. For the direct link please contact Macanda Myers. Please also feel free to reach out to Macanda if you have ideas for new kinds of information that might be useful in the spreadsheet.
HEDS COVID-19 Institutional Response Surveys
We’ve created three short surveys to help you assess the impact these changes have had on your students, faculty, and staff. These surveys are free for HEDS institutions.
As of June 5, more than 40,900 students at 65 institutions have responded to the student survey. More than 5,300 staff members from 26 institutions have responded to the staff survey and 3,100 faculty from 24 institutions have completed the faculty survey.
All of the surveys include questions that are designed to gauge how students, staff, and faculty at your institution are experiencing your institution’s response to COVID-19. The student and faculty surveys both have an optional module that includes open-ended questions about experiences with teaching and learning in the online environment initiated by the crisis.
- Student Survey Update on Initial Trends, April 8, 2020
- Student Survey Update on Retention, April 23, 2020
- Student Survey Update on Student Background, May 15, 2020
- Student Survey Update on Seniors’ Worries, May 27, 2020
Copies of the surveys along with information about how HEDS can administer these surveys for you are available on our COVID-19 Institutional Response Surveys page.
HEDS Listserv Archive
The HEDS Listserv has been very active over the last couple of months, and it’s easy to lose track of messages that may have been relevant to your work. If you are looking for a particular message and can’t find it in your email, you can always search for it in the listserv archives. If you do not have the URL and password to access the archives, please contact Barb Lawhorn and she will forward them to you.
HEDS Data Exchanges
We are happy to revise our data exchanges so that they are relevant and useful in the current environment. The next data exchange that you can participate in is the HEDS Deposits exchange. We have revised this data exchange to meet the changes in the admissions process that most of our institutions are facing. First, we will be collecting snapshots of deposits at four different dates instead of just two: May 1st, June 1st, July 1st, and August 1st. Second, we will be collecting these data in a Google sheet, to make it faster for you to submit your data. We will share more information about the Deposits data exchange and ask for your feedback soon. If you have suggestions for revising any of our data exchanges to make them more useful please contact Charlie Blaich and Kathy Wise.
HEDS Annual Conference
We were looking forward to seeing you all at the conference in St. Louis this year! While we are saddened by the necessity of canceling, we know it was the best decision for everyone’s safety and peace of mind. We will be setting up virtual meetings June 22-23, 2020, including a “State of HEDS” presentation and our business meeting. If you have any ideas about additional virtual events that you would be interested in, we would love to hear from you! Please feel free to contact Charlie Blaich and Kathy Wise with suggestions. The HEDS virtual conference will be free for HEDS members.
All of our current HEDS surveys will continue to be open for administration during their typical windows. We know that the disruption caused by COVID-19 may make administering them problematic in many ways. We’re glad to work with you to revise how you are administering these surveys or to cancel a survey and return your survey fee–whatever works best for you.
We are sure there will be many more changes and adaptions required in the coming months. Please continue to reach out to us with ideas about how we can support your work. We know that these are hard and uncertain times for you, your colleagues, your students, and your leaders. Whatever happens over the next couple of years, we promise to be here and to do everything we can to support you.
We will announce any changes and new tools on the listserv as they occur, but we will also keep this page updated as a central location for all COVID-19 related announcements, so be sure to bookmark it.
Last updated June 5, 2020