HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey
The HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey asks students, faculty, staff, and administrators about their:
- perceptions of their institution’s climate,
- perceptions of how their institution supports diversity and equity, and
- experiences with discrimination and harassment at their institution.
Institutions can use information from this survey to develop a better understanding of the extent to which their campus climate supports diversity and equity, and to inform and improve support, policies, and practices at their institution related to diversity and equity, including those to prevent or respond to discrimination and harassment.
The survey is designed to be administered to everyone in the campus community – faculty, staff, administrators, and students. The survey usually takes less than 15 minutes to complete, and participants’ responses are anonymous.
We designed the survey for people who spend a significant amount of time on campus, not people who work remotely or students who take their courses primarily online. We understand that institutions may have more than the usual number of students taking classes online and employees working remotely due to precautions with COVID-19. You may still administer this survey to those populations as the survey does ask participants whether they primarily spend time on campus or take classes/work remotely. We will look at the data to see how results for these populations may differ, and we encourage institutions to consider this factor as well.
Click on the following questions to learn more.
You can administer the HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey for any 3–6 week period between July 15, 2020, and April 30, 2021. We ask that you register at least three weeks prior to the date on which you plan to begin administering the survey. If you want to administer the survey this summer or early in the fall semester, we have a version of the survey for incoming students, faculty, and staff. Please let us know if you would like to learn more.
Given the sensitive nature of the data from these surveys, we suggest that you work with your campus’s institutional review board (IRB) to review the procedures you’ll follow to ensure that everyone on campus treats these survey data with appropriate care. Your procedures should protect the anonymity of the people who respond and their responses. IRB approval will help to assure your campus constituencies that your institution is treating the survey data and findings appropriately.
All participating institutions will receive:
- SPSS and Microsoft Excel files with your participants’ responses (responses removed or combined with others when needed to keep participants’ responses anonymous). We will review open-ended text responses and remove the names of anyone accused of discrimination and/or harassment, and send the open-ended text responses in a separate file.
- Comparative report – compares results from your students and employees to those of students and employees from all other participating institutions on all survey questions as well as the key indicators.
- Compilation of your participants’ responses to the open-ended questions.
- Real-time data report accessed online with a unique password
Institutions in HEDS can also request a post-survey phone consultation with a member of the HEDS staff about your institution’s survey data.
YES! Here’s how:
- We insert your institution’s name at the top of each page of the survey and in the text of applicable questions
- You can add supplemental questions at the end of the survey
- You can customize the survey invitations and reminders
The base cost of the survey is $500 for institutions in HEDS and $2,000 for institutions not in HEDS. There are some custom options for additional fees.
To learn more about becoming a HEDS member, please visit our Join HEDS page.