Registration for the 2019-2020 HEDS Diversity and Equity Survey will open in late summer.
HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey
The HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey asks students, faculty, staff, and administrators about their:
- perceptions of their institution’s climate,
- perceptions of how their institution supports diversity and equity, and
- experiences with discrimination and harassment at their institution.
Institutions can use information from this survey to develop a better understanding of the extent to which their campus climate supports diversity and equity, and to inform and improve support, policies, and practices at their institution related to diversity and equity, including those to prevent or respond to discrimination and harassment.
The survey is designed to be administered to everyone in the campus community – faculty, staff, administrators, and students. The survey is designed for people who spend a significant amount of time on campus, not people who work remotely or students who take their courses primarily online. The survey usually takes less than 15 minutes to complete, and participants’ responses are anonymous.
You can administer the HEDS Diversity and Equity Campus Climate Survey for any 3–6 week period between December 1, 2019, and April 30, 2020. Please register at least three weeks prior to the date on which you plan to begin administering the survey.
Given the sensitive nature of the data from this survey, we suggest that you work with your campus’s institutional review board (IRB) to review the process you will follow to ensure that all survey findings are treated appropriately and that the confidentiality of people who respond to the survey is protected. IRB approval will help to assure campus constituencies about the care with which your institution is treating the survey data and findings.
All participating institutions will receive:
- SPSS and Microsoft Excel files with your participants’ responses (responses removed or combined with others when needed to keep participants’ responses anonymous; open-ended text responses in a separate file). We will review open-ended text responses and remove individuals’ names if respondents identify people by name.
- Comparative report – compares results from your students and employees to those of students and employees from all other participating institutions on all survey questions as well as the key indicators.
- Compilation of your participants’ responses to the open-ended questions.
Please note that if you have a small number of completed surveys and/or a small number of respondents who report that they have experienced discrimination and harassment, it may impact the summary data we can provide you.
The base cost of the survey is $500 for institutions in HEDS and $1,900 for institutions not in HEDS. There are some custom options for additional fees.